Some patients complain of a persistent nagging burning sensation in the mouth.
Clinical examination by the doctor reveals no abnormal findings. This condition is often diagnosed as a Burning mouth syndrome (BMS).
BMS is more common in women predominantly post menopausal. Men and pre menopausal women may also be affected.
What are the patient’s complaints?
• Burning on the tip and sides of the tongue, top of the tongue, roof of the mouth, and the inside surface of the lips.
► Read also: Gravidarum granuloma associated to an osseointegrated implant: case report
• Sour, bitter, or metallic taste in the mouth.
• Altered sensation of taste.
• Sometimes, the patient wakes up in the morning with no burning sensation but it progresses throughout the day and the burning discomfort peaks at night.
• Others might experience continuous burning sensation throughout the day
Souce : newdelhitimes.com
Author : Dr. Anveeta Agarwal